The World's finest hand-built Custom Guitars and Basses

Oct 31, 2014 - 10:54 AM

Photo Gallery
There are 0 registered users online.

You can log-in or register for a user account here.

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
r3texOffline
Post subject: asymmetric neck shapes  PostPosted: Oct 28, 2008 - 05:58 AM

Michael, have you ever tested necks which have an off-center neck contour? In other words, leaning more in one direction to be "more comfortable" for the thumb. I've seen that on some websites and was wondering about it.

Also, have you tested "twisting neck" guitars? Lace Helix makes some. They are supposed to be really good for people with arthritis.

Reply with quote Back to top
Michael
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 28, 2008 - 02:13 PM
Site Admin

Yes, I have played a couple of asymmetrical contours, but didn't enjoy either one. I think they are really an acquired taste!

Back in 1999 I thought the Lace spiral neck was really interesting but apparently it's just not as ergonomic as they thought it would be, because it's been discontinued - it's not available on any current "Helix" products. All the current "Helix" guitars are only "helix-shaped" in their body and headstock outlines.. they use a conventional neck design now!

Matt.GillisOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 01, 2008 - 10:28 PM

Well, I wouldn't exactly say that's because the product didn't work. I mean, how many people have the courage to buy a guitar that has a twisted neck? Especially nowadays where a lot of people purchase instruments without trying another guitar by the same maker first. My bet (though it is personal opinion) is that it was buyer apprehension that killed the design, regardless of whether it worked or not.

Jump to: